Friday, February 23, 2007

baby steps

Since I'm still in the beginning stages of developing my day-trading system, I'll be including notes and earmarks on a variety of topics in the world of technical analysis, and things I might want to be looking for to enter/exit trades. So, I think I'll start with moving averages. Some obvious signals I'll be looking for will include crossovers of a shorter vs. longer period moving averages. The shorter-period MA crossing over the longer = an up trend. The longer crossing over the shorter = a downtrend.

Keep in mind, the shorter the time period used the quicker the MA is to respond to a price movement. While, of course, the longer the time period the slower the moving average line is to react. Since an Exponential Moving Average (EMA) is calculated so that more importance/weight is given to the most recent closing price I think I'll mostly use EMA's.
I should also be looking for these MA's to help determine support and resistance levels.
Seeing how prices are reacting to these levels will help determine where to place my stops.

No comments: