Saturday, July 28, 2007

Weekends with Wine


It's been a while since I've posted anything about the wine I'm drinking (my last post featuring the Prisoner wine). So, this weekends feature is the Monticelli Brothers and their 2005 Mario Sangiovese from the Russian River Valley. It should go without saying that if I'm posting about it then I love drinking it. If you're not familiar with a Sangiovese varietal, take this bottle with you to your favorite Italian restaurant and thank me later. Sangiovese has its roots in Tuscany and is the backbone of most Chianti wines (which are upwards of 90% Sangiovese, and rounded off with lesser known blending vareitals). It's not clear from the label what the percentage is of Sangiovese fruit, but next time I run into the winemakers I'll find out and update this posting. The first thing that jumps out at you is the distinctly California fruit bouquet (think spicy strawberry), that's cut with a fair edge of vanilla oak. It has a light and crisp body with a little bit of acidity that makes it work so well with pasta dishes, tomato sauces, pizzas. It's not as earthy as a lot of Chianti's can be, which I typically prefer, and the oak seems to lend a sweetness to the wine rather than a tar element. The best part of the experience is this bottle retails for $28. One footnote here; I drank my wine in crystal wine glasses, which can completely transform a wine. Don't believe me? Try it out for yourself. *salut!*

1 comment:

Shane said...

Todd,

I added you to my link train. Check out my site. It may add a bunch of links to your site

Shane